Wednesday 30 May 2012

Psalms 3 & 4: my poem 'The song of sleepless nights'

Today I've started reading through some of the psalms slowly during my structured bible reading time. I'm using a Good Book guide edited by Tim Chester called 'Soul Songs: exploring love, temptation, guilt and fear from the Psalms'. I thought in an effort to sink in the things I'm learning & being reminded of, I'd write a poem for each set of psalms... putting my creative energies to use & trying something a bit different!

Today's reflection was on psalm 3 & 4, here is my poem - I guess it's kinda an opposite psalm...


'The song of sleepless nights'

Standing in solitude - vulnerable, broken.
I embed last threads of hope into my fateless energy.
But I don't need your help.

I wrote my own answers to life.
Revelling in my glory encased in this stone fortress.
Why would I need your help?

I traded sleep & rest with fear & anger.
I asked for the threats to choke & the anxiety to suffocate.
I didn't want your help.

My heart & answers are empty now,
A thousand unrested silences haunt me.
Why didn't I take your help?

Psalm 3:4
To the Lord I cry aloud, and he answers me from His holy hill.

Psalm 4:8
I will lie down & sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment